4.01.2009

Petrichor and Merriam-Webster and me

I'm puzzled.

There is a definition for 'petrichor' here and a singular place for it in A.Word.A.Day but no definition at Merriam-Webster online except obliquely as the root (second) 'ichor'
2 : an ethereal fluid taking the place of blood in the veins of the ancient Greek gods.

Possibly it has to work its way into Oxford English Dictionary to be deemed a part of our lexicon. I venture it's in OED. Does anyone subscribe?

Ichor but no petrichor.

You know petrichor like you know rain, earth, air. Don't you?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Janis Sawyer said...

I am so happy to read this! I plan to write a bit about petrichor soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

excellent article. But I need more written